Cleaner fish health and welfare
Our cleaner fish are either farmed or wild. Fishing quotas for wild cleaner fish are regulated by Norwegian Authorities. We apply various measures to ensure the well-being of our cleaner fish:
- Established practices to ensure that the cleaner fish are as robust and healthy as possible.
- Optimized vaccination programs.
- Screening before release into the pens.
- Specific feed in the pens, tailor-made for cleaner fish.
- Tailor-made, artificial kelp forests in the pens where the cleaner fish can hide, avoid stress, rest, and sleep.
Currently, mortality rates for cleaner fish are high, which is common for new species in aquaculture. It takes time to learn about their specific biology and how to improve health and welfare, and also to breed stronger cleaner fish through breeding programs.
We are in the process of revising and improving our policies for cleaner fish. This includes working more systematically to report and reduce mortality.