Best Aquaculture Practices (BAP)
Grieg Seafood has been awarded the Best Aquaculture Practices certification by the Global Aquaculture Alliance, the leading standards-setting organization for aquaculture seafood. The Best Aquaculture Practices standards are developed by a committee of diverse stakeholders including leading progressive environmental organizations. The review process involved an audit of Grieg’s social responsibility, food safety, animal welfare and traceability processes and systems, as well as audits at its farms. Best Aquaculture Practices certification standards for salmon farms incorporate ongoing guidelines and quantitative criteria for veterinary care, nets, and feed content and feed ratios.
Aquaculture Stewardship Councils (ASC)
Grieg Seafood BC has initiated a program to attain Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) certification beginning in 2019. ASC certification is the aquaculture equivalent of the well-known Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) certification for commercial fisheries and is the world’s leading standard for aquaculture. The standard includes more than 150 indicators addressing issues and impacts related to seven principles:
- Compliance with all applicable national laws and local regulations
- Conservation of natural habitat, local biodiversity and ecosystem function
- Protection of the health and genetic integrity of wild populations
- Use of resources in an environmentally efficient and responsible manner
- Management of disease and parasites in an environmentally responsible manner
- Development and operation of farms in a socially responsible manner
- Being a good neighbour and conscientious citizen
GRIEG BC’S ASC CERTIFIED SITES:
Grieg BC currently holds the only ASC Multi Site Cerificate to the Salmon Farm Standard. All farms listed below are included on the multi-site certificate.
- Gore Island
- Muchalat North
- Lutes Creek