About the Placentia Bay Aquaculture Project
The Placentia Bay Aquaculture Project will establish responsible salmon farming operations in Placentia Bay, using best-practice farming methods and technology. The project will create hundreds of local jobs in the Marystown local communities.
The project in brief
- In 2015, a memorandum of understanding (MOU) to exclusively produce Atlantic salmon on seawater grow-out sites across four areas of Placentia Bay was signed with the Province of Newfoundland.
- The project received Environmental Impact Study (EIS) approval in August 2018.
- A high-end Recirculating Aquaculture System (RAS) facility is in operation.
- 8 licences for seawater sites are approved and more are in application process.
- The Placentia Bay Aquaculture Project will at completion contribute with at least 37 direct jobs on land and 101 direct marine jobs. In addition, we envision that the project will generate hundreds of indirect local jobs.
Status salmon farming operations
- The first fish are growing healthy in our freshwater facility.
- The first fish will be transferred into sea during Spring/Summer 2022.
- The first harvest is expected in 2023.